🍴🍔🍟 TAKEAWAY THURSDAYS 🍟🍔🍴
* * *CHINESE CHICKEN CURRY* * *
– 1 tbsp hot Madras curry powder
– 1 tbsp Chinese five spice powder
– 1 tsp hot chili powder
– 1 tsp ginger powder
– 1 tsp garlic powder
– 55 g butter
– 3 tbsp all-purpose flour (plain flour)
– Chicken stock cube
– 2 large chicken breasts (sliced into strips)
– 4 spring onions (cut into 1 inch pieces)
– 1 large green bell pepper
– 1 small bag of bamboo shoots
– 1 inch cube of fresh root ginger (finely chopped)
– 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
– 1 tbsp light soy sauce
– 1 tbsp sesame oil
1. In a small bowl, mix the powders Next, it’s time to make the roux.
2. Over a low heat, melt the butter in a saucepan. Then take off the heat, add the flour and use a whisk to combine the ingredients to form a paste – or roux, once well-combined, return to the heat and cook through just for 2 minutes before removing from the heat.
3. Add 1 cup (250 ml) of chicken stock,. So, to finish making the sauce, take the roux and add the Chinese curry powder mix to it and then add approximately one third of the stock. Gently whisk to combine all the ingredients, Continue adding the stock a third at a time until it is all added and stir with the whisk until there is no residue of solid left on the bottom of the pan.
4. While you are making the curry powder and sauce, it is a good idea to marinate the chicken in the garlic and ginger, together with a little light sauce and sesame oil. This lets the flavours permeate the chicken.
5. First heat 1 tbsp. coconut oil in a wok or pan, and add the chicken. Stir-fry until the chicken is sealed then add the finely diced garlic and ginger and stir fry for 1 minute. Finally add the spring onions, green pepper and bamboo shoots, followed by the soy sauce and stir fry for 5 minutes to soften the vegetables and ensure the chicken is cooked through.
6. Add the pre-prepared Chinese curry sauce, stir to combine and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened; serve with steamed or boiled rice. or cauliflower rice.